My Favorite Cake Recipes

I have had a lot of questions about the cake recipes that I use. Here are some basic recipes that you will love!



I like to make cakes that are fast and easy... so I use a mix from a cake box. Let's just put it this way, when you spend so much time on decorating a cake I just don't have the energy to make a cake from scratch and still have time left over to breathe. They taste just as great especially if you modify the recipe on the box. They are very moist and people never know the difference!


1 box of chocolate cake mix
3 eggs
1 cup of milk*
1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)


1 box of yellow cake mix
1 package (4 oz.) vanilla pudding mix (powder)
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract


1 box white cake mix
3 eggs
1 cup milk*
1 tsp. vanilla/almond/lemon extract (you can choose which flavor you like best)


Combine the cake mix with all of the ingredients. Bake at 350 for 14-16 minutes (for cupcakes) or if you are making a cake follow the time instructions on the box but make sure you keep checking on the cake! I have found that ovens vary and I always have to be careful. To check to see if the cake is ready, touch it with your finger lightly and if it springs back then you're good to go!


*You can also substitute 1 cup of sour cream instead of milk! I know it sounds gross but if you are ever daring enough to try it, it makes the cake so moist!



21 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I found your blog! I'm looking forward to using your "paper towel" icing technique on my next cake! Icing is one of the hardest things to perfect in my opinion!
    On these cake recipes, do you use the 6" pans per recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so exciting! Thanks!
      They will fill 2, 8" pans! If you use 2, 6" pans then you will have a little left over for some cupcakes :)

      Delete
    2. You should also use the frosting recipe that is just posted today for the Viva paper towel technique: http://www.thelittledelightsinlife.com/2012/07/classic-white-frosting-recipe.html

      It is a lot easier to work with than my other buttercream recipe!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the info! Can't wait to try it!!

      Delete
  3. I love putting sour cream in my mixes! So good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brooke :) I'm guessing the cooking times you have listed are for cupcakes. Do you follow times on cake mix box for 13x9 or layers? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I didn't even realize that I only put the time for cupcakes thanks!! I would follow the box time but definitely set it for the minimum time and keep checking it. I have found that ovens vary and it is always different!

      Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  5. thank you!! I'm so excited to try this! I have seriously loved reading through your blog. Love all the tips and tricks

    I just added myself as a follower :)
    followme@ www.studentswife.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you still put oil and water in the cake mix as well? Or only the ingredients you posted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! You don't need any other ingredients then the ones that I listed :) Cool huh?

      Delete
  7. Hi love your blog!!!!!(:
    I just have a question though, would I need to prepare the pudding mix and then add with the other ingredients or do I just follow your recipe and throw the pudding powder mix in with the ingredients together and bake the cake?(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just put the pudding mix in the cake mixture. You don't make the pudding recipe.

      Delete
  8. Oh!! Haha! Okay, I was just making sure because I'm using your recipe to make my nephew's cake for his bday party this weekend and this will be my first time using thia recipe(: haha, anywho thank you!!!(:
    Keep up your awesomeness! I love it!(; you have an awesome blog<3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Brooke. Trying both the yellow cake and chocolate cake today for a friends birthday. Used the sour cream in the chocolate and if the batter is any indication taste wise, I am guessing this cake will be amazing! I also plan on using the paper towel technique with the icing meant to go with it. Thanks for all your awesome recipes and tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could I substitute almond milk for regular milk?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How can I make a boxed strawberry cake better. I noticed you added extra ingredients to the others. I make my husband, my son and my birthday cakes every year we all have our favorites but strawberry is always harder to make even better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Brooke, Why do you add pudding to the vanilla cake only? What difference does it make? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps the vanilla flavor stand out a little more :) You could try pudding in the other cake mixes to see if it improves the flavor too!

      Delete
  13. Hi Brooke, thanks so much for all the helpful tips and recipes you've posted. What do you use as filling between layers? I'm working on a cake with vanilla cake layers and am not sure if I should use the buttercream frosting that I'll be using on the outside of the cake as the filling or something different.

    ReplyDelete